Monday, October 18, 2010

gluten free banana pancakes....

Anyone who has tried eating gluten free knows how difficult it is to achieve that delicate balance in gluten-free baking which results in something that doesn't have the GF "tang" to it...I've found a solid mixture of starches and flours (I often include potato starch and tapioca starch) results in the best texture and flavour. In fact I have my own all-purpose GF flour mixture that works for everything from baking to thickening sauces (link to follow). 

This weekend, as part of my effort to relax and enjoy the day, I decided to make pancakes for DH and I. He requested banana. What follows is the recipe for the fluffiest, most tasty GF pancakes I have ever been able to make with a little banana thrown in for flavor (you can substitute berries or even just spices): this is one of the few recipes I now know by heart. 



Steph's Gluten-Free Banana (or any other flavour!) Pancakes
Yield: 4 large pancakes (easily double the recipe!)


1 cup GF all-purpose flour mixture (purchased or use mine)
2/3-1 cup milk (or unflavored soy milk)
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. xantham gum
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 Tb. vegetable oil 
1-2 Tb. brown sugar
1-2 medium-sized bananas 
     (mashed and mixed with 1 tsp. each cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla)
     OR raspberries, strawberries or blueberries
     OR 1Tb. more of brown sugar, 1 tsp. each cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice, vanilla
     OR 1 cup pureed squash or pumpkin, 1 tsp. each cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice, vanilla


In true NB fashion, serve with real maple syrup. (Hint: I like to put my syrup in a small dish and dip my pancake pieces in it. It uses less AND it's less messy!)               

2 comments:

  1. Yay!! Welcome to blogging!! I don't blog as regularly as I should (or at least, as regularly as I think I should!), but I do find it a fun way to journal bits & pieces of me - and to keep track of friends ;) Those pancakes look soooooooo yummy - maybe we should plan a catch up brunch after you are settled in? You make the pancakes, I'll bring the syrup!

    PS - congrats on your new home - I am soooooooo happy for you!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Kimmartha

    We'll see how successful I am at blogging: if the past is any indication I'll never actually stick to it ;)

    I'm *totally* up for a catch-up brunch! Sounds great! :)

    ReplyDelete